[bksvol-discuss] Re: Anyone Willing to Take on a Newbie?

  • From: Monica Willyard <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 13:44:10 -0400

Hi, Marilyn. Welcome to Bookshare. :) I'm glad you're here.

We don't have rules that are as stringent as the ones you've described. First, I should back up and explainthat Bookshare has quality ratings for scans that people submit. I encourage new volunteers to choose a book rated excellent for their first couple of projects so they can get comfortable with the validation process. Now on to your questions. We're supposed to leave the fonts as they are in the scanned file. Our job as a validater is to proofread the text, correcting obvious errors. We also make sure the book is complete and that the title and copyright information are listed in the book. It isn't a requirement, but many of us remove the headers, leaving the page number intact. This is because many of our readers find the headers on each page to be distracting.

We have a couple of sighted volunteers who get the book they're working on from their local library so they can look at it if they see errors that don't make sense. Most of us have some form of print disability though, and referring to the print copy isn't possible. If we can tell that there are missing pages or pages with severely garbled text on them, we try contacting the submitter to see if that person can rescan those pages. Some submitters are thoughtful and leave their email address in the comments field of the submission form. If this isn't the case, you can post to this list to see if someone can help you get the missing pages.

I hope this helps you feel more comfortable about volunteering. We're here to help you if you get stuck. Please don't worry about asking questions or making mistakes. We've all been there. (smile)

Monica Willyard
Follow me on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/plumlipstick