[bksvol-discuss] Re: Any key?

  • From: Stephen Baum <steve@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 11:08:29 -0400

Good point, Paula, although people would get very tired of a longer, but more precise, message. If you are using the numeric keypad to control Kurzweil 1000, then "any key" basically means any other key in the numeric keypad.

Stephen

At 07:16 PM 8/20/2006, you wrote:
    I recently found out that when K1000 says "Press any key", it doesn't
necessarily mean "any key". In the midst of trying to validate a book, while
still fighting a stubborn cold, I accidentally hit the Erase Page key. K1000
said, "Press any key to cancel." I hit an arrow key, and everything seemed
fine, so I continued reading. I know, I should have hit Escape, but I admit
I wasn't thinking clearly.

    I then came across a spot in the book where I needed to insert a blank
line, so I positioned the cursor at the beginning of the line, and hit
Enter. K1k immediately announced, :Page erased." By the time this happened,
I had pressed three or four keys, but evidently none was the "any key"
needed to cancel the Erase Page operation. After a few seconds of panic, I
exited without saving, so all was well.

    In looking back at the manual, I don't see any warning that certain keys
don't qualify as "any key". I did, however, learn that if I press the wrong
"any key" again, I can use Shift-Erase Page, to get my page back. I had
forgotten about this keystroke, but I will certainly keep it in mind for the
future!

Paula