[bksvol-discuss] Re: Another thought on Openbook's version 8

  • From: Monica Willyard <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 00:37:58 -0500

Hmm. Scott, maybe you're right. I take awhile to warm up to changes. I can see an advantage to having Jaws and Openbook use the same keystrokes for things like say line. How many times have I forgotten which program I'm in and ended up scanning when I didn't mean to? I'd forgotten about using the space bar to start a scan. I'd gotten myself out of the habit of using that when I went from Dos to Windows. It amuses me to think about coming full circle with that. I'd be ok as long as they have something I can push to scan... the space bar, a function key, or something like that. You know, FS should give you a commission. (giggle) They are good at listing new features, but they aren't so good at reassuring those of us who don't immediately see the value of said new feature. I'm still not ready to call up and order my upgrade, but I'm less opposed to it than I was an hour ago.

Monica Willyard

Scott Blanks wrote:
hi again,

one more opinion which I neglected to include in my last message, regarding OpenBook. If properly implemented, I will personally be very glad to see the new keyboard layouts. Having uniformity amongst my assistive products, especially when they come from the same company, is important to me. I am also a full-time assistive technology instructor, and the consistency will help everyone. Again though, the effectiveness of this change will be determined by how well FS has dealt with any conflicts which arose from the change.

Scott