[bksvol-discuss] Re: Another Question for Braille Readers

  • From: "Estelnalissi" <airadil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 23:22:04 -0400

Unfortunately, the practice of encoding such formatting details into the original word processing file does not appear to yield the kind of results you might normally expect with rtf files sent to Bookshare. You might be right if either Duxbury were up-to-date, or it was getting a copy of the original rtf file that was submitted. I have yet to see a blank line in any brf file I have ever read from Bookshare in the two years that I have been downloading them. I used to see italics, with the italicized text on a separate line, if you can believe it; but since the braille translator was "upgraded", in quotes, italics are completely absent from brf files.

Back in the early to mid 1990s, I used a copy of Hot Dots, later Megadots, which could take a doc file from MS Word and retain blank lines, centering, bold and italic text, pretty much whatever was in the original file. But Bookshare brf files contain almost nothing of the original formatting or font attributes.

It is hard to believe that Duxbury, even if it were years out of date, would not be able to reproduce the kinds of things that at least one other braille translation program could do a dozen years ago. Which is why it seems more likely to me that Duxbury is not getting an unadulterated copy of the original submitted rtf file.

Evan

----- Original Message ----- From: "John J. Boyer" <john.boyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>