[bksvol-discuss] Re: An alternative to validating fair quality submissions

  • From: "Donna Smith" <donnafsmith@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 16:31:41 -0500

Hi all.

Wow. What a lot of discussion!  I truly didn't intend to stir up the age-old
discussion of quality.  I think we're all in agreement that working to
improve over-all quality is a common goal, even if we have different ideas
about the process for getting there.

My original proposal was intended as a suggestion about a single technique
that could work in some cases to prevent fair quality books now on step one
from entering the collection, by rejecting those fair quality books that can
be more easily fixed with a clean new scan than hours of validation.
Anyway, it's out there as a possible technique and those scanners who want
to use it can.  It's one of many approaches that will eventually bring the
quality of the collection up.  I think the steps that have been taken by us
as volunteers and by the administration thus far are paying off already, and
the over-all quality is sure to continue to improve.

Now I have a couple of books to scan while I watch the Cowboys and the
Giants slug it out.

Donna