[bksvol-discuss] Re: An Unfinished life

  • From: "Mary Otten" <maryotten@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 19:46:01 -0500

With regard to the decision of whether to proof what's up there and fix it, or
rescan, my vote almost always goes to rescanning. If a book needs hours of work
to fix a poor ocr job, I'd rather take less time, get the
scanner set up right to start with and save the tedium of all that picky
messing around. Plus, if its really garbled, you might not be able to fix all
the stuff that needs  fixing, because the original has passages you just
can't figure out.  I don't know. Maybe its me. But I find the task of cleaning
up a scanning mess to be entirely frustrating, especially if the mess looks
like it could be vastly improved with a new ocr job with better
settings, more attention to book placement, etc.
Mary