[bksvol-discuss] Re: All quotes are now question marks in 2 books approved by Bookshare

  • From: "Kellie Hartmann" <hart0421@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2005 09:31:47 -0600

Hi Chris,
Whenever I work on a file scanned with Openbook, all the normal quotation
marks are replaced with "close quotes." This is true of opening and closing
quotation marks. Also, all the apostrophes are replaced with something odd,
but I can't remember what. I do my editing in Kurzweil, so I'm not sure if
the problem is caused by Openbook or if it has something to do with how
Kurzweil treats rtf files made with Openbook. I've been planning to look at
one of these in Word to see if the punctuation is interpreted as normal
there or if it's strange. If you happen to have Word, maybe you could scan a
couple pages with quotes and then save the file as rtf and open it in Word,
and check out the quotes to see what they are up to. Whenever I work on an
arc file I just replace all those closing quotes with normal quotes, and all
the whatevers with apostrophes. I have seen books in the collection like you
describe with total weirdness where there should be quotation marks.
Kellie