[bksvol-discuss] Re: All quote closed quotes

  • From: talmage@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2005 16:45:00 -0500

The continuing saga of page breaks gets worse ...
Being an Openbook user, the subject of this thread caught my attention, so I thought I'd better check out just how my quotes were being rendered.
Well in the book I'm working on now, it does seem to represent quotes as an ASCII 148, or a closed quote. Similarly, it mucks about with the apostrophe. While this isn't a major problem, it's just one more annoyance from Openbook.
I also thought I'd check a couple of the books I've submitted that are in the library, and a separate problem I found there is a major league concern. I downloaded 3 daisy versions of my submissions that represent a broad period of time, and in every case I found that pagination was totally messed up. Page breaks are being lost, and lines that were, and should be, separate are being run together. The page integrity is shot, with page numbers appearing in the middle of pages, and the page count being short. As I don't usually validate my own scans, I thought I'd better check something I did validate, and it was just as bad.
After the prolonged discussions we've had over page breaks, it would seem to make any of our previous points moot, as it seems the program that is used to convert files to daisy disregards existing page breaks anyhow.
Now, there is a possibility that as I was using Openbook to view the daisy files, that it is actually the source of the problem, but if it is at the Bookshare end, this is going to be very, very, disappointing.

If anyone else wishes to check out where the page breaks fall, the following books were all correct when initially submitted, and are just 3 that I've checked.
The Berets by W. E. B. Griffin
Sharpe's Prey by Bernard Cornwell
Killer's Wake by Bernard Cornwell

The following is the validation I checked that was correct when resubmitted, but no longer seems to be so.
This Pen For Hire by Laura Levine

What do you all find in regard to your submissions???

Dave