[bksvol-discuss] Re: All quote closed quotes

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 11:34:52 -0800 (PST)

--- Kellie Hartmann <hart0421@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Cindy,
> I would like to recommend that you just do a mass
> replace and replace all
> those close quotes with the plain quotation
> mark--the one made by
> shift-apostrophe. Since the Bookshare converter is
> having issues with those
> close quotes, it's possible it would also have
> issues with the open quotes.
> Besides, it's a lot less work for you. <grin> This
> whole issue is caused by
> an ocr engine and not by what type of quotes are
> really appearing in the
> books, so replacing with the generic quote isn't
> interfering with anything
> and is the most universally agreeable to
> screen-readers, braille displays,
> and file format converters.
> Thanks,
> Kellie

I'll try that. It is the shift apostrophe that I used.
I was surprised that, although they looked the same in
the Replace, they were open in the file.  So I think
you're saying that in the file all quotes will convert
to open or closed depending on the punctuation.
Amazing things, these computers. I definitely will try
that the next time, and for the apostrophe, too, which
sometimes has been facing the wrong way.

Cindy

Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!