[bksvol-discuss] Re: Advice needed for submission with no page numbers

  • From: Monica Willyard <plumlipstick@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 21:45:03 -0400

Elizabeth, though I agree that page numbers are useful, there is a wide variety of OCR technology in use by submitters. K1000 handles page numbers fairly well, and I know you're used to that. However, Openbook and Omnipage make a mess of most headers and page numbers. Requiring page breaks in files was relatively easy to enforce, especially since most OCR packages insert them automatically. Page numbering is not an automated feature in Openbook, though it might be in K1000. I could go in and guess at page numbers if it were a requirement, but would my guess be accurate? Probably not since I'd just number the pages in order. If I did that, it would be the equivalent of what the Bookshare tools do now, so you'd get the same results. As a validater, you may have no way of knowing how accurate my page numbers are without access to the print book, so how could you standardize the process? Most of our submitters don't even strip headers right now. Do you think that they will make time to check each page number? I know for sure that I wouldn't. I'd strip headers automatically, use Word to number my pages, and let the powers that be figure it out on their end.

Monica Willyard

At Wednesday 10/18/2006 06:51 PM, you wrote:
Cannot imagine what is taking them so long in changing so that page numbers are a requirment. On the other hand, we had talked about getting rid of .txt files for over eighteen months before they finally were banned. I guess these things take a long long time to resolve somehow.