[bksvol-discuss] Re: Advice needed.

  • From: Scott Rains <scottr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 12:28:23 -0700

Great discussion everyone. It is always encouraging to see people itching for
the next challenge. We're all for it!

It may not be apparent but the manual is as much a "consensus document" and a
chronicle of best practices that this community has evolved as it is a set of
regulations imposed arbitrarily from the outside. Of course, we need to work
within the possibilities of DAISY and BRF. We need to be aware of what has been
written into Bookshare's DAISY converters. The fact is, when a sub-group of
volunteers decides together to tackle a scanning or proofing problem we often
see some valuable innovation that helps us all.

As volunteers take on increasingly difficult and complex books - and raise
their sense of what level of quality they want books to have in Bookshare - new
advice gets presented and adopted.

I see a suggestion here that we adopt non-sighted/sighted partnerships for
working on maps for example. Does anyone want to step up to that challenge? How
to format such things as glossaries, appendices, etc.? If so, be sure to share
with me any new ideas, processes, or standards you come up with.

Scott Rains