[bksvol-discuss] Re: Advanced Reader Copies

  • From: Melissa Smith <mdsmith25@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 May 2010 20:19:56 -0500

I did know that monthly book clubs often were mailed out prior to the date given, but this was almost 2 months early, so I was a bit concerned. It is looking like I am okay, but I'll have a sighted person double check the covers and the like, just to be sure the OCR didn't miss anything.

Thanks,

Melissa Smith

On 5/16/2010 7:08 PM, Roger Loran Bailey wrote:
Publication dates are typically set in the future. It happens because the publisher wants the buying public to think they are buying the very latest and up too date book and variables might intervene that will cause a delay in the actual publication. If it is planned to be a bestseller it is likely that the publication date will be set in the future and all the print run will be produced and distributed to the bookstores maybe months in advance but sales will not be allowed until the publication date on the book. This is marketing hype. That is, an attempt to build up a sense of anticipation. If, on the other hand, it is just another book it is likely that it was ready for publication before the date on the copyright page and it was just released. If all the publication information that you would expect is on the copyright page and there is no mention of it being an ARC I doubt that it is one.

_     _      _

"No man ever believes that the Bible means what it says; he is always convinced that it says what he means." - George Bernard Shaw

The Militant:
http://www.themilitant.com
Pathfinder Press:
http://www.pathfinderpress.com
Granma International:
 http://www.granma.cu/ingles/index.html
----- Original Message ----- From: "Melissa Smith" <mdsmith25@xxxxxxxx>
 From: "Melissa Smith" <mdsmith25@xxxxxxxx> To:
<bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Sunday, May 16, 2010 5:28 PM
 Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Advanced Reader Copies

> Okay, I know we can't submit advanced reader copies of books, but
> how do we know if that is what we have? Would it be stated on the
> book somewhere? Where would I most likely find it? I have 4 books
> here that I have a funny feeling are advanced reader copies, but I
> haven't seen that stated anywhere yet. Thanks,
>
> -- Melissa Smith

> bksvol-discuss-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx put the word 'unsubscribe' by
> itself in the subject line.  To get a list of available commands,

 bksvol-discuss-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx put the word 'unsubscribe' by
 itself in the subject line.  To get a list of available commands, put
 the word 'help' by itself in the subject line.