[bksvol-discuss] Re: Adult content, please read, please?

  • From: Laura Shannon <brighteyes324@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2013 00:51:30 -0400

When I think back to books that I read in Middle School, it seems that
there is some feeling here they should be marked "adult content" for
Bookshare. I would disagree. The Catcher in the Rye comes to mind as the
best example, a book I read for English Class when I was thirteen. It
contains some vulgar language and dark concepts, but I would not consider
that it be marked "adult content" and completely restricted to minors.

There is a vast difference between what we would consider inappropriate for
a 6 yr old and inappropriate for a 13 yr old. Ultimately, the decision
would rest with the parents of the minor child. They know their child best,
and what they would be able to handle in that regard.

It seems though, that a book that is to be kept separate, or in what used
to be called a "back room" by a Bookstore, then Bookshare would have to
adhere to those same standards and mark it adult content. I could be
mistaken there though.

Roger's suggestion would seem to help everyone concerned. A simple short
description of any questionable content would offer a guideline to be used
by both those downloading and parents deciding what is suitable for their
child. Just my opinion on the subject.