[bksvol-discuss] Re: Adult content, please read, please?

  • From: Roger Loran Bailey <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2013 22:07:51 -0400

Nimit, you have already solved your own problem. When you start reading a book that is distasteful to you you stop reading it and delete it. That is your choice and you have made that choice. When you ask other people to censor books before you can find out that you have a distaste for them, though, you are asking people to make your choices for you and to take your choice away from you. There are some words that I have a distaste for myself. Those words are usually racist or sexist terms or are other words that display bigotry. Sometimes I actually cringe when I come across such words. However, if someone tried to prevent me from encountering them I would be extremely resentful. If someone else decided for me what words I should be allowed to be exposed to without my having an input I would be more offended than I would be if I encountered the words themselves. As long as books that are marked as containing adult content are prohibited from being accessed by anyone I even oppose the adult designation at all and I would remove any adult designation on a book that I was proofreading. If the designation was there for informational purposes only, though, then that would be a different matter because you could see the designation and simply decide for yourself whether to download it or not. I am not sure that such a designation is necessary though. Notwithstanding miscategorization, if a book is listed in the children's category and not in other categories then it should be safe to assume that the book is not written for adults and if a book is not in the childrens category then it should be assumed that it is written with adults in mind. In any case, there is never a guarantee that you will like any book before you start reading it and you should not expect that other people should take responsibility for deciding that you are going to like a book or not. You can read reviews. You can listen to literary discussions. You can look to see what category a book is listed in. There are a number of ways to get a pretty good idea of whether you will like a book before you start reading it, but you will never know for sure until you actually start reading it. Once you do start reading and if you decide that it is not for you then you can just stop reading and you have already said that is what you do. Similarly, if I run into one of those words that make me cringe I can stop reading myself and I have run into them on many occasions. Guess what? It has never harmed me. Sometimes I might become a bit angry or disgusted or feel some other unpleasant emotion, but I have never been harmed. If you have come across words that you find distasteful I expect that you might feel some kind of unpleasant emotion too, but I doubt very much that you have suffered any lasting harm. You just stop reading. That should be enough. Furthermore, even if you are personally "protected" from certain words by other people who are depriving you of your right to make your own decisions about what to read it so happens that other people your age or younger are deprived at the same time. So even if you maintain the right to relinquish your own power of personal decision making then do you really have the right to ask that it be taken away from others of your age. I would say that your best move is to just continue to make your own decisions about what to read and don't ask that your choices nor anyone else's choices be

censored.
On 4/3/2013 4:43 PM, Nimit Kaur wrote:
block quote
OK.  Sorry then.  I mean, then think about the words that you hear a
beap in the movies or  shows when it is being said.  I hope I am not
forced to write some here.  I won't and I hope I am not forced.  I
mean, I really don't want to and I know not to.  So, yeah, think about
the words that won't be writen in the kids' books or like the words or
actions, sometimes that are not in the movies rated excluding minors
such as PG or R or I can't think of more yet.  Sorry if I was wrong.
Thank you............

On 4/3/13, Roger Loran Bailey
<rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
 wrote:
block quote
#
I cannot think of a single word I have ever read or heard in my whole
life that I would not want a minor to hear or read.
On 4/3/2013 4:24 PM, Nimit Kaur wrote:
block quote
Dear all Bookshare volunteers,

I am emailing to sincerely request all scanners to label the book
adult content checkbox if it is, please?  Remember, the books you are
going to add to the collection will also pop up even if the minors
search in the collection when you don't label it if it is adult
content.  i have seen many books either in the collection and in my
account preferences, the books that contain adult content has been
blocked or whatever that setting does, but because many people are not
labeling it, I have mistakenly downloaded and deleted the book because
I can't read them yet.  I sincerely ask all scanners on behalf of all
the minors to please please please please please please please to
check the box that says "adult content" if it is when you submit the
book, please?  I mean, I have downloaded many books mistakenly that
are not properly stated adult content either for proofing or reading
for bookshare.  Please understand my situation.  I am sorry if I was
too much, but I am just trying to ask everyone scanners as sincerely
and politely as I can to please please label the adult content if your
book is and if you don't know what adult content means, then, it is
like when there are words in the book that you don't want any minor in
your life to hear.  Think of it as your own children, if you have or
if you don't, think of it as minors in your lives that you care about
and think about the things you really don't want them to read and the
words you want them to avoid.  You know?  I hope that makes sense.
Think of somethings that schools won't allow the students to do or
think of things that might be rated pg or r or whatever rating movies
have to state that minors should not watch it.  Kids my age hear
everything, but I am speaking for minors that should not read it or
even children.  I hope this makes sense.  Thank you for reading and
understanding.

Sincerely,
Nimit, a bookshare student member and a future advicate for all
visually impaired students hopefully

block quote end

block quote end

block quote end