[bksvol-discuss] Re: "Adult" books

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 00:53:21 -0800 (PST)

David, no one at bookshare is censoring anything.
Everything that is submitted and properly validated is
accepted. The only thing that is happening is that
some books are identified as Adult. Readers like Patti
who don't care to read books with profanity or graphic
sex or violence indicate that on their applications
and they aren't given those titles to see when they
check the collection.

Also, children under the age of 18 don't see those
titles either, though their parents could probably get
the books for them. A couple of us have suggested that
maybe the age limit could be lowered to 16.

A couple of us have also suggested maybe the Adult
rating could be eliminated and instead ratings such as
are used for movies could be put next to the title --
that everyone could see all books. An alternative to a
rating system might be to have a space similar to the
short and long synopsis spaces wherein one could write
that the book contains profanity, graphic sex,
violence, etc. I do put that in my long synopsis as a
warning.

Cindy

http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250