[bksvol-discuss] Re: "Adult" books

  • From: "Sarah Van Oosterwijck" <curiousentity@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 13:59:30 -0600

Patti,
I am another person who feels the same way.  I really like to be
informed about the type of content a book or movie has so I can decide
to skip it if I believe it will be offensive to me.  Informed choice is
such a popular concept and catch phrase, I think deciding what to
entertain oneself with should be another application of the concept.

I think if everyone didn't find swearing, sex, and violence so
acceptable and sometimes even desirable, authors would focus more on
fascinating plot and character development.  I'm not saying anyone that
uses that stuff necessarily has a problem making the book interesting
otherwise, just that it isn't necessary to the story in most cases, so
why should the majority of books and movies contain it.  There is also a
big difference between acknowledging that sex is part of most people's
lives and describing it in explicit detail.  Most books also need some
sort of conflict in them, and sometimes it is a physical one, but I
don't want to hear details about how someone was beat to a pulp, and I
sure don't want the entire population to become desensitized to it,
because that can really mess people up, especially kids.

Have you ever considered using your screen reader's pronunciation
dictionary to eliminate swearwords?  Unfortunately I still come across
unexpected combinations once in a while, and sometimes a scanno makes
one get through mutilated but still recognizably a swearword. :-)  Now
if only screen readers could be smart enough to change pronunciation
based on context, so that the words could be replaced with a non-profane
equivalent when necessary to understanding the sentence, but just
skipped when superfluous.  That would help in a myriad other situations
as well.

Sarah Van Oosterwijck
http://home.earthlink.net/~netentity