[bksvol-discuss] "Adult" books

  • From: "Patti Johnson" <razz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 13:22:58 -0500

I know I will be in the minority on this, but why is it we need to have Adult ratings for books and/or movies? Because our society thinks it is just fine to spew out foul language, authors think there is nothing wrong with describing love scenes in the most explicit detail. Why? Two things I heard when I was younger have never left me. One was from my history teacher in the 8th grade. He said if a person has to swear, that means they have a very limited vocabulary. Amen. And, as a young adult I went to hear Paul Harvey speak and he asked why do we guard our children from such things, bad language, violence, explicit sex, yet we think it is okay as adults to digest all this? Why is it okay? I guess I wish for an idealistic existence which will never happen, but I sure don't appreciate any of that in my life, I will not read books that have this type of content in them, nor will I watch a movie with such a rating that I know it is full of what I know will be offensive. Yes, it's a free country, I do know that but I just don't know why it has to be deemed acceptable that we hear and see unnecessary stuff like this; there has to be other ways to express ourselves. Okay, I'll hush now. Just had to express my opinion. Back under my desk I go.
Patti

You can't bounce the bounce if you can't pronounce the bounce. --From The Tigger Movie