[bksvol-discuss] About Two Wish List Books

  • From: Monica Willyard <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bookshare Volunteers <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Cindy <hifriend@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2008 05:45:19 -0500

Hi, everybody. I have been working on two wish list books and have decided that they are going to require a sighted scanner. Cindy, could you make a note of this on the wish list so no one else does what I've just done? The books in question are by Liz Curtis Higgs and are called "Whence Came A Prince" and "Grace In Thine Eyes." The reason they are going to require a sighted scanner is that both books are set in historical Scotland, and the author makes liberal use of that dialect. She puts this dialect in a special font, and Kurzweil is having a rough time handling it. I can't get over 97.5 accuracy on the books, and each of them is over 550 pages. I think a sighted scanner could use software to do recognition on zones of the page with this dialect. It is beyond what I can handle though. I apologize to whoever requested these books. They're well-written and deserve to be in the collection.

Monica Willyard