[bksvol-discuss] Re: ATT Natural voices Re: bksvol-discuss Digest V2 #51

  • From: "Sarah Van Oosterwijck" <curiousentity@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 11:33:05 -0600

You never know if something stupid will occur to make a voice not work with
your screen reader, but in general the answer is yes.  You go to the place
in your screen reader where you can switch synthesizers and choose SAPI,
which should either automatically use the SAPI voice you have last used or
chosen as default, or it will give you a list of the available speech
engines and voices.  You do not need to choose the voice you want during the
screen reader installation process, because they don't need individual
drivers, since they all follow the SAPI standard.  In the control pannel
there should be a speech option, either as a separate item or a tab of the
sounds item, where you choose the voice you want as default.
I hope i didn't make a mess of this by being too general, so I didn't have
to talk about different screen readers, versions of Windows, or different
versions of SAPI. :-)

Sarah Van Oosterwijck
http://home.earthlink.net/~netentity/