[bksvol-discuss] Re: ATT Natural Voices and narrators

  • From: <vining@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 13:46:57 -0800

Sarah V. said:
I could sware that AT&T Rich is actually made with the voice of one of the
British readers for NLS, but I can't think of his name in order to ask all
of you if you know what I mean.

What does he read? I could find him in the NLS catalog. *smile* Yes, I have
a curiosity about mainly useless facts.

I wish we could plug in sound samples, and create speech in whatever voice
we chose. I don't care for any of the samples mentioned in this discussion
so far, but I agree with Sarah, it's best to test them on a sample of your
own chosen text.

My dream computer-speak/narrator would be Jillie Meers, who is a British
actress, who seems to do mainly radio work. (she's in Westway, if there are
any fans of it here. She's Dr. Margaret Sampson.) The closest comparison I
can make is to say that she sounds a bit like a British Grayson Hall (that
would be a lovely choice too.) or Lauren Bacall. Speaking of Bacall, there
is an NLS reader who sounds remarkably like her as well, accent and
all!--Cyn Delafield -
anyone heard her? Sadly, she doesn't seem to read many of the kinds of books
I enjoy.

Joanie