[bksvol-discuss] Re: ARK (Arkenstone)?

  • From: "Jane Jordan" <juanitatighan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 15:15:30 -0600

ark is the open book file format.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Allison" <alwaysallie@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Volunteer List" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, January 16, 2005 2:37 PM
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] ARK (Arkenstone)?

Hi,
 have been wondering this for a while now.  Shrugged it off as not important
until I've realized the number of books piling up in this format.  What is
ARK (Arkenstone)?  What program does one need to open these files?   Are
they Open Book-related, or something different.  I'm only familiar with
Kurzweil and the various Windows-related formats.  However this may be
something that I just missed along the way in learning about.  I wouldn't
have wondered about it so much except that there are quite a few books up on
the validation page in arc format that have been there for quite some time.
I'd happily download and validate some of these if I knew what the file
types were.  If I have the program to open them, I can do that, but I think
it is some sort of scanning software.  I vaguely remember there was a
scanning program associated with these, but I don't recall which.  Are they
easily converted, or must you have that specific software.  A lot of those
books would be interesting to read though, and it'd be good to get them off
the download page and onto the site.  Any thoughts?

Best,
Allison H.