[bksvol-discuss] Re: ARK (Arkenstone)?

  • From: "Sarah Van Oosterwijck" <curiousentity@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 21:23:19 -0600

I wonder if a few people could obtain Open Book demmos and do some of the
validations they are interested in.  I haven't yet heard of a complaint about
problems with more than one scanning program installed at once.  If that would
be a problem we should all be worned.  I am just wondering if the demmo I have
is too old to be safe or not.

It is a fact that the scanning software's format contains more formatting and
usually more accurate information about the scan, but since we can't go
straight from ARC or KES to BRF and DAISY as of yet, trying to preserve that
information as long as possible is somewhat pointless, and conversion shouldn't
be a hardship on anyone.

I don't know why releasing a converter would be financially unwise for software
makers.  Not even Microsoft prevents people from opening most of their
propriatary formats.

Sarah Van Oosterwijck
http://home.earthlink.net/~netentity