[bksvol-discuss] Re: ADA Anniversary Booklist: Books Suggestions for Bookshare on Facebook

  • From: Chela Robles <cdrobles693@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2010 20:07:15 -0700

--
"To me, music that breaks your heart is the music that stays with you
forever. It's one thing to be melancholy and one thing to be
sophisticated, but when you get the two of them together in a way
people can relate to, then I think you're on to something. You want
the sophistication to lie in the purity of the sound, the beauty of
the arrangements, and the quality of the performances."-Trumpeter
Chris Botti
--
Passion x Patience x Persistence x Perseverance x Diligence x
Integrity = Success, for both the trainer and the trainee.

On 7/18/2010 7:34 PM, Valerie Maples wrote:
Oh, gosh, dozens!  Let me pick some others might not think about and some we have added.
I have to say, though, one of my favorites is a child's book written by our very own
Maureen Pranghofer!  She wrote a wonderful children's books, "Ally's Busy Day"
that fellow volunteer Debby Franson sent us to add to the collection.  I scanned it and
Doug wrote the picture descriptions. So, having said that, here are a few:

Ally's Busy Day by Maureen Pranghofer
Stuck in Neutral by Terry Trueman
Cruise Control  by Terry Trueman
Karen by Marie Killilea
With Love from Karen by Marie Killilea
Choices...Changes by Joni Eareckson Tada (I am stunned her original Joni is not
in the collection!)
The Other Side of The Mountain by E.G. Valens
Maida's Little Shop by Inez Haynes Irwin
Evan Early by Rebecca Hogue Wojahn
Inner Views From my Culture by Audrey Abell
Mommy, What is Deaf? by Nikki Sian-Leigh Aksamit
It's $5 Extra for Cerebral Palsy By Marie Lucerne with help from Anthony
Aversano
Backstairs at the White House by Paul Dubov and Gwen Bagni

That's as good as I can do for now.  LOL
Valerie

On Jul 18, 2010, at 9:24 AM, Scott Rains wrote:

Bookshare wants a list of recommended  books from the collection that touch on
the theme of disability.

On Facebook Marketing will run a serialized list (one book per day for 30
days.) We are open to everything from children to academic books; fiction or
non-fiction; humorous or boringly serious.

Please post your suggestions here for all to see so that one person's ideas
spark another's. I will cross-post this invitation to the general discussion
list after volunteers have had a shot at it.

For example, author Katherine Schneider has recommended her memoir "To the Left of
Inspiration:  Adventures in Living with Disabilities" and her children's book "Your
Treasure Hunt:  Disabilities and Finding Your Gold" are in the Bookshare library already. I am
partial to books on travel. I know there are relevant some sci-fi books. Maybe there are some
Romance books or poetry anthologies too?

Looking forward to hearing your collective wisdom.

Scott Rains
Benetech Fellow, Bookshare Volunteer Department