[bksvol-discuss] Re: A question re homonyms in context

  • From: "Estelnalissi" <airadil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2006 05:07:58 -0400

Dear Cindy,

Jaws has a time with homonyms. For, You will read a book, it says "You will red a book." not "You will reed a book. It's unpredictable. In
***
"The poor invalid has invalid insurance."

Jaws pronounced both words as for not valid.

***
but in

"An invalid with invalid insurance be ware."
It pronounced the homonyms differently and correctly.

"Having invalid insurance is bad for an invalid."
Was also pronounced correctly.

If you are an invalid and you have invalid insurance, go elsewhere."
Back to two not valids again.

An invalid invalid is a fake.
Another 2 not valids.

This isn't a homonym, but airadil, my e mail address should be pronounced air as in airplane, uh as in bug and dil as in dill pickle but jaws says a rattle. that sounds exactly like a babies rattle He even makes the d sound for the two teez as we do in casual speech as in raddle.

I'm inordinately fond of Jaws and consider his quirky pronunciation part of his personality and charm. He's read more to me than any other single voice except my mother's. She read to us practically every day of our lives from infancy until adolescence changed our priorities. .

Always with love,

Lissi
"My story is finally out there in the ether, a self-sufficient organism beyond my control, changing shape in every new mind that absorbs it."
From The Night Listener, a novel by
Armistead Maupin