[bksvol-discuss] Re: A question of formatting

  • From: "Mayrie ReNae" <mayrierenae@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 07:05:47 -0700

Hi Sue,

As I said, it's a matter of preference.  The only situation in which I would
really strongly push for keeping the asterisks to preserve a blank line is
the situation in which a blank line exists within a chapter to denote a
scene change, but a new chapter doesn't dstart at that point, so there's no
indicator other than the white space, or in our case, the asterisks to let
the reader know to expect something new.

And, as I said, the other instances, surrounding chapter headings, is really
a matter of preference.  I understand the arguments for both options and
respect both.  So, I'd request that if you want to ignore blank lines around
chapter headings, go ahead, because the chapter heading (the writing of
"chapter 1" or whatever) will let me know that something is changing, but if
there is white space within a chapter, indicating a change of topic, or
scene, please note it by using three asterisks to do so.

In the end, it's all the choice of the individual proofreader.  This is just
my opinion.  And I hope I've explained why I have it well enough to be
understood.

Does any of that help?

Mayrie