[bksvol-discuss] Re: A page from Pleasures of Love

  • From: Melissa Smith <mdsmith25@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 07:17:03 -0600

Lori, I'm using a screen reader and am not signed in. This book is available in snippet view, which means you can't actually look at the whole page, but a snippet of it is shown in the search result. The snippet usually shows the text you type, along with some of the surrounding text. So, here's what I do. In the search box type the book title in quote followed by the plus sign, followed by the text right before or right after the word you are looking for. I do not include the word that is messed up, because that throws the search off. I try to use several words of the text, so it is more likely to find the exact spot I'm looking for. Then press enter to perform the search. When the search results come up, hopefully just one result, if I've done my search well, I read the snippet that is shown there in the search result. It shows the text you entered in the search, along with some of the surrounding text. Do not click on the search result, because that page will only have images. With books that are in snippet view, there are certain pages that are restricted. In this case, the search result will come up and in the place where the text would normally appear, there will be a notice saying that that page's content is restricted. If this is the case, you'll need to find another way to get the information, either through a rescan, or having someone look at the print copy, because it won't be viewable by anyone, sighted or not. I hope this made sense and you can find answers without any trouble. Let me know if it didn't, I'll try to explain more.

Melissa

Lori wrote:
Meslissa,

Many many thanks. Now how did you do that? Are you looking at it visually, or using a screen reader?

Thanks
lori

----- Original Message ----- From: "Melissa Smith" <mdsmith25@xxxxxxxx>