[bksvol-discuss] A call to action was Re: Re: My nickel's worth--quality control

  • From: Noel Romey <ner@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 18:31:25 -0500

Hey guys,
I do a lot of validating I don't necessarily want to do. For instance, I pick up a book that's absolutely out of my realm i.e. a romance novel etc. If its a good quality one, then I just validate it. A lot of the times, I think we as a group let things stay on the list a long time mostly because we may not be interested in the books on the list. For example, I have several books on the list that are sci fi books that I hate to validate for myself just because that defeats the purpose of validation. I know that the books I submit, though they may have some errors, I know because of the way I scan books, that they are well done. Not all of the books I submit I read completely through, but I always do spot checking. Sometimes, I think that validaters, and submitters for that matter, look at the book for a few seconds, determine its complete and go on, whether or not the quality is good or not. There's not much we can do about this, but its just a thought I had.

Maybe I should put a call of action to the group. Take one book a day that's outside of your field of interest, and yes that means textbooks, and validate it. If its bad quality, and also readable, give it the appropriate quality rating and go on to the next one. If each volunteer and I know there's over 100 did one book, we'd be well on the way tto clearing our backlog. At this point, I'd love it if the admins had another backlog.

What do you guys think?

Ner
At 06:21 PM 6/17/2004, you wrote:
I agree with you Liz, that quality is better than quantity. Over the past
couple of weeks I was able to validate about a dozen books because the
quality of the submissions were terrific. They were as you said, "a joy to
validate." When I submit a book I also try to make the scan as near perfect
as I can.

Just my 2 cent's worth.

Grace ----- Original Message ----- From: "Liz Halperin" <lizzers@xxxxxxxxxxx> To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Thursday, June 17, 2004 5:04 PM Subject: [bksvol-discuss] My nickel's worth--quality control

Noel Romey Arkansas, USA View my insights at my live journal: http://djner.livejournal.com