[bksvol-discuss] Re: A book I want to sumbit, Adult content?

  • From: Ann Parsons <akp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 07:56:31 -0500

Hi all,

Hmmm, I seem to be in the minority here. If most people don't think the book should be marked Adult Content, then that's how it should be. However, I wonder if we aren't putting a spin on Adult Content that shouldn't be, or maybe the society is? I think of Adult Content coming in two categories: pornography and books about adult subject matter. Pornography, as Tom Lehr reminds us: "As the judge remarked the day that he aquitted my Aunt Hortance, to be smut it must be ut-terly without redeeming social importance..." On the other hand, I think we may be short changing books which are for adults only, not because they are porn but because they discuss subjects which are for adults. I would consider any book which was a self help book about marriage or sex or adult relationships to be for adults simply because kids, although they may understand the meaning of words may not truly comprehend the subject matter. This isn't bad, it's just tabu, tabu in the best sense of the word.

However, if you all figure that these types of books shouldn't be restricted, then I'll abide by the majority rule, of course. <smiling> I just think that there is a value in a tabu. It's not bad, it's not ugly or wrong, it's just shut behind a door because some people are not ready to understand it.

Ann P.

#60;P #62;With a no-holds-barred conversational
style and keen insight, Rabbi Boteach breaks all the
taboos and pioneers a new approach to sex, marriage,
and personal relationships. He not only brings
traditional Jewish wisdom into the twentieth century
but makes it relevant to everyone searching for a
deeper, more meaningful, and more satisfying love
life.

Do I need to label this adult content?
Thank you,
Anastasia

james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi,
I didn't make note of the submitter of 301 Smart
Answers to Tough Interview
Questions. Is the only way to release, then
immediately download the book?

Thanks.

Jim

James D Homme, , Usability Engineering, Highmark
Inc.,
james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx, 412-544-1810

"it is only possible to live happily ever after on a
day-to-day basis." --
Margaret Bonnano

---------------------------------
Looking for last minute shopping deals?  Find them
fast with Yahoo! Search.

WISH LIST (called Requested Additions To The Bookshare Collection)is
available at
http://www.friendsofbookshare.org/

Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring