[bksvol-discuss] Re: A Technical Question

  • From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2015 01:54:46 -0600

I don't even want to think about how that would have to get handled -- LOL -- yes, old and quirky books and reprints have very odd things.

I can't remember which publisher used to do it, in the 1960s or 1970s I think, but they published a series of paperback science fiction novels that each contained two complete books. They printed them as if you had taken two books, rotated one 180 degrees and put it back-to-back with the other book, and then glued them together (figuratively speaking). That's the weirdest I've run into! When you reached the end point of one novel, you had to turn the book over, and rotate it 180 degrees and start at the 'new' front cover to read the other novel.

Judy s.
Follow me on Twitter at QuackersNCheese <https://twitter.com/QuackersNCheese>
On 11/12/2015 1:30 AM, Valerie Maples wrote:

I did once, and only once, but it was pre-Bookshare volunteering or very early on and I remember being stunned. If it was early, it was either a reprinted Nancy Drew double book or a 4 pack from within a Robin Guinn series we considered doing when we were having a tough time getting one of the books in the series. Usually an omnibus has a single unique number.

When you work in old and quirky books and reprints, you find very odd things. LOL

Valerie

On Nov 11, 2015, at 11:04 PM, Judy s. <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

Valerie, have you ever seen a volume/omnibus book that contained multiple isbns for separate books within it? That's a new one on me. I haven't seen it done that way. Given that I've only ever seen a miniscule fraction of all the ways publishers put out books, it wouldn't surprise me, though.