[bksvol-discuss] A Submission

  • From: "Evan Reese" <mentat1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 19:25:41 -0700

Well, I finally got it up there.  The book is called Transcension by Damien
Broderick.  It is Science Fiction.  I hope the validator reads the comments I
put in the form.  All of the chapter headings, as well as the title and author
on the title page, are in lower-case letters.  I hope whomever doesn't decide
that they are errors and "fix" them.

Ironically, after all the recent talk about validators reading through
submissions, I hope whoever does this one does the minimum, unless they are
familiar with the book.  There are a number of other peculiarities in the book
which might be taken as errors if someone doesn't notice their consistency.
For example, the chapter headings with Arabic numbers are followed by a space,
a colon, another space, and then the chapter name, whereas those chapters
starting with roman numerals are followed by a colon without the space.  I
really enjoyed the book, but it was a lot of work to get into shape.

For any who are interested, here is the synopsis from the dust jacket:

Damien Broderick has been a leading Australian SF writer since the seventies,
winning numerous awards. His novel The Dreaming Dragons was named one of the
100 best SF novels. His recent nonfiction book, The Spike, is a mind-stretching
look at the wonders of the high-tech future. Now in Transcension, he brings to
life one of the high-tech futures he imagined in The Spike, a 22nd-century
Utopia pervaded by nanotechnology and ruled by a benign but coldly objective
AI. Transcension may be Broderick's best book yet.

Amanda is a brilliant violinist, a mathematical genius, and a rebel. Impatient
for the adult status her society only grants at age thirty, but determined to
have a real adventure first, she has repeatedly gotten into trouble and found
herself in the courtroom of Magistrate Mohammed Abdel-Malek, the sole
resurrectee from among those who were frozen in the early 21st century, the man
whose mind was the seed for Aleph, the AI that rules this Utopia.

Mathewmark is a real adolescent, living in the last place where they still
exist, the reservation known as the Valley of the God of One's Choice, where
those who have chosen faith over technology are allowed to live out their
simpler lives. When Amanda determines that access to the valley is the key to
the daring stunt she plans, it is Mathewmark she will have to lead into
temptation.

But just as Amanda, Mathewmark. and Abdel-Malek are struggling to find
themselves and achieve their potentials, so is Aleph, and the AI's success will
be a challenge to them and all of humanity.