[bksvol-discuss] A Good Addition to the Manual, WAS: Re: Re: a really tough decision to make...

  • From: Debby Franson <the.bee@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2009 22:01:16 -0600

Hi Mayrie!

I think this stuff about creating tables should be added to the manual so that a new volunteer will know the do's and don'ts when creating tables so that this unfortunate thing doesn't happen in the future when people use tabs and spaces instead of the table in Word.

Debby

At 11:45 PM 11/1/2009, Mayrie ReNae wrote
HI Doug,

        When you formatted the tables, did you use Word's tool to create an
actual table, or did you arrange the text on the screen with tabs and
spaces?  I ask, because knowing exactly what you did will tell us how to
help, and whether to report this problem as a bug to engineering.

        If you used Word's "text to table" tool and actually created tables
in Word, then we definitely have a problem that needs to be talked to
engineering about.  If you used tabs and spaces to create what visually
appeared to be a table, I unfortunately understand why the conversion tools
that bookshare uses trashed your work.  I grieve the loss right along with
you, and wish, as I said to Valerie, that we'd somehow communicated that
tabs and extra spaces are stripped by bookshare's conversion tools, as well
as any alterations in margin width, and blank lines.

Does any of that make sense?  If the conversion to tables in Word is
resulting in something that is being trashed, we definitely need to tell
engineering.

        I am so, so sorry that your guys' hard work isn't being preserved!
I know how frustrating that is!

Mayrie