[bksvol-discuss] Re: A Curiosity Question. Just out of curiosity... Hope somebody can answer.

  • From: "Sue Stevens" <siss52@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 06:50:25 -0500

Ann,

That is encouraging news, if it means more brf files will be added to the BARD site!! Thanks for giving us that info!!

Sue S.

-----Original Message----- From: Ann Parsons
Sent: Monday, September 16, 2013 6:03 AM
To: kaur.nimit@xxxxxxxxx
Cc: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: A Curiosity Question. Just out of curiosity... Hope somebody can answer.

Hi all,

Just an FYI, not that I'm suggesting it be used for putting books in
the collection, but merely for information purposes. There is a program
that can be used with a scanner that does scan Braille copy and turn it
into  electronic Braille files.  I know somebody who is working with
NLS to do just this.  She takes older Braille books and scans them and
puts the scanned braille files into the collection for NLS.  These are
transcribed books which aren't available in print.  She scans the books
into .brf files so that they can be duplicated.  It's kind of a really
fringe thing to do, but she's getting paid to do it.   I don't know
what the software is called.  She's told me, but my mind is such a
sieve that I don't remember at all.  Again, this is only for your
information, not as something to do for Bookshare.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring