[bksvol-discuss] Re: A Bookshare book that you proofread has been returned to the volunteer queue.

  • From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2014 20:34:08 -0600

Hi Chris,

To unlock the file:
1. Open the file in Word.
2. Go to the file menu, from there go the permissions box and switch off the "restrict editing" option and save the file again. If you can't find any of those, and you're using a screenreader, you'll have to get some instructions from someone else on this list on how to find those options within word. Just ask. smile.

If you can't get it to unlock, you may have to ask the Bookshare administrators to put the original scanned file back on the checkout list for you so you can start all over again from the unlocked copy that was originally submitted by the scanner.

If the above doesn't work, let  us know.

Also, I think you're asking about how to get rid of the running headers in the book. This is something the scanner really should have done for you (in my opinion. grin.). A running header often appears in printed books, and it gets scanned in as the first line of the page on the scanned version. It isn't part of the text of the book per se, just a reminder to a reader with vision of what book they're reading, by which author, and what chapter they are in. If it's there, it need sto be removed from every page it appears on as a running header for a book that's being submitted for Bookshare.

A running header will be usually be either a repeat of the title of the book, a repeat of the name of the chapter, or a repeat of the author's name, often preceded by or followed by the book's page number. All of those running headers should be deleted, but if the page number is at the beginning or end of the line make sure to leave the page number there.

Does that make sense?

Judy s.
On 11/20/2014 8:14 PM, Christopher Zeigler wrote:

Hello again how do I remove the letters from the document and how do I get this file unlocked