[bksvol-discuss] Re: A Better Way to Read Ebooks

  • From: "Sue Stevens" <siss52@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2012 14:19:15 -0600

Hi Monica,

It's good to see you on the list again!  (smile)

Sue S.

-----Original Message----- From: Monica Willyard
Sent: Friday, March 02, 2012 9:14 AM
To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] A Better Way to Read Ebooks

Hi everyone. I've seen many questions from blind people on this list
about how they can read different formats of ebooks accessibly and how
they can get the most from Bookshare's own books. We've talked about
how we're tired of running around trying to figure out how to read
various types of ebooks, feeling like we want to pull our hair out. I
found something new today, and I think it will help Bookshare's users
and blind volunteers. Check out http://q-continuum.net/qread/ for a
better way to do things. For the first time, we have a program that
can read pdf, epub, Bookshare, text, and other types of books with one
easy to use interface. The program is called QRead, and it's on sale
for $20 till CSUN ends. There is a free demo version that loads 30
percent of your book so you can see how it works.

One of the features I like best is the ability to keep your place in
books when you shut down the program. I also like that it can unzip
daisy books from Bookshare on the fly, letting you start reading
immediately without thinking about where to unzip your book.

I don't work for the developer or anything. I'm just really excited to
have one interface, one reader for the PC instead of trying to sort
out which program will open a particular type of book. It's worth
trying if you want better options for handling ebooks.

--
Monica Willyard
Visit my GoodReads book shelf at http://www.goodreads.com/plumlipstick

-----