[bksvol-discuss] 80,000 Thanks for the stirling stat

  • From: "Estelnalissi" <airadil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2011 19:44:12 -0500

Dear Scot,

Thank you for answering my question about the approximate size of the Bookshare
library. I'm proud to know we have about eighty thousand books and to pass it
on. The percentage of volunteer contributed books is bound to drop, but as of
now, I'm estimating that volunteers are responsible for about twenty-five
percent of the collection.

Today I proudly told Jennifer, the Akron librarian who arranges to mail books I
need for proofing and picture descriptions and Evan uses to scan, Bookshare's
current tally. She's quite business-like and very efficient. Though we don't
stray off topic, her understanding of the needs of Bookshare volunteers has
built gradually. For example, though I never made a point of it, she gleaned
that scans of large print books might be superior to their mass market
counterparts. She goes out of her way to track down large print books for Evan
whether I specify them or not. She also understands the need for me to have
identical editions of books I'm proofing or describing pictures for and makes a
special effort to find them.

Today she and I made the preliminary arrangements to send me two of the books
in the Ginny series Evan and I have been working on, two more of the Carolyn
Haywood books Shelley has been scanning and I've been proofing and describing
with editorial help from Susan Lumpkin and Courtney Stover, and the fourth in
the Alice Nestleton mystery series Evan and I are working on together.

The bottom line is that as professionally distant as she is, she shows
noticeable pride when I share factoids about Bookshare's growth and
achievements. She isn't just facilitating book orders. Now, she shows
satisfaction in assisting me, Evan, and the other volunteers we work with, to
produce quality versions of books for Bookshare.org. She was happy to know how
substantial Bookshare's collection of especially accessible books, via BRF,
Daisy etc. has become.

Always with love,

Lissi