[bksvol-discuss] 20 free books for scanners

  • From: "Estelnalissi" <airadil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2015 18:47:59 -0500

Dear Booksharian Friends, particularly scanners

This morning 8 new books not in the collection found their way to me for 50
cents each so it's time to offer free books to you

The following is a list of books I'll send to any scanner who requests one.
Write to me off list at airadil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx if you'd like one, first come
first served. I'll need your address. Here is my policy on mailing out books

1 Any book I mail to you is yours to keep for free, I pay postage, too. My
reward is knowing a volunteer scanner and proofreader added a book to Bookshare.

2 Submit your book with a hold for a proofer you like to work with or with no
hold, for anyone to proofread.

3 The only thing I track is whether the book ends up in the collection. Once
your book is in the collection, if you'd like another book, you can contact me.
If I have more books I'll reply with a list for you to choose from, always free
as explained above.

4 I only use your email address to talk with you about books. I won't bug you
or give your address to anyone.

5 Who gets what book is confidential. I'm no blabber.

6 At the time of mailing I believe the book isn't in the collection. If, when
you receive the book, it has been added, you still keep the book. If you'd like
another write to me and tell me your book was already added and I'll send a
book you choose off to you.

7 If the book has elements you can't scan and you have to give up on it, I'll
send you another. Whatever happens, you keep the book.

8 If you end up not scanning the book, I won't ask for it back or bug you. I
just won't send you more unless you have special circumstances and we work it
out off list.

My hope is to help scanners in need of books.

*

Children

-Toads and Frogs,by Bertha Morris Parker - 36 pages with lots of writing,
looks like neat stuff to know for any age even a page about newts and related
activities

-See Through the Jungle by Millicent Selsam - older hard cover - about 55 pages
- don't know what it's about but the art is very abstract so picture
descriptions could be difficult or not terribly important. Your call.
-Sam The Minuteman an I Can Read History Book - Nathaniel Benchley - 64 pages -
lots of pictures and large print text that looks as if it would scan well.

-Strange Creatures of the Snow And Other Great Mysteries - Edward F. Dolan, Jr.
- hardcover - about 110 pages - Full pages of text, like the frog book I'd love
proofreading it but I can't proofread and I have to fight my tendency to keep
too many books for myself.

-The Family Treasury of Children's Stories Vol 2 - edited by Pauline Rush Evans
- 494 - hardcover - a true treasury!!!

-Ark in the Park by Wendy Orr - 78 pages - A little city girl and an amazing
pet shop and three wishes...

-Trembling - hardcover - 153 pages - Civil War story - poor swamp dweller boy,
his dog and an injured father

-Operation Phantom Dribbler - a Spy Five Book - Spencer Strange - 96 pages -
like new soft cover - irregular margins, borders on pages, sometimes more than
one layer, many pictures of all sizes - probably difficult scan but also
probably a book tons of kids will want to read

*

adult Fiction

-Khaled by F. Marion Crawford - mass market paperback - about 212 pages -
tanned around edges of pages - I believe it's eastern culture based

-Kilroy and the Gull - Nathaniel Benchley - hardcover - 118 - about captured
killer whale

-Unveiling by Suzanne M. Wolfe - 190 pages - library hard cover discard - Woman
learns more about herself as she restores an old painting

-The Bishop and the Missing L Train - a Blackie Ryan Story - Andrew M. Greeley
- hardcover library discard, - 285 pages- Bookshare has many of the books in
this series but not these.

*

adult Nonfiction

-Out of Control Who's Watching Our Child Protection Agencies? by Brenda Scott -
softcover about 200 pages has footnotes the numbers in the text, the footnotes
listed at the end.

-George Washington's -Sacred Fire - by Peter Lilback - about 1180 pages -
Biggest chunkster I've ever seen! - serious, highly researched book
highlighting the noble characteristics of George Washington featuring excerpts
from his writing.

- An Eye for the Dragon Southeast Asia Observed: 1954-1970 by Dennis Bloodworth
- hardcover - about 400 pages, pretty serious history with a chronology of
events after the core text a bibliography and index - material after the core
content doesn't have to be scanned, but only the index, which is in columns
could bbe troublesome

- Revolution in World Missions - by K. P. Yohannan - about 240 pages - will be
a BSO of bookshare's copy which has no title, no chapter titles, and other many
paragraph breaks which split sentences and is too bad a shape to be fixed
without a rescan.

- No Mercy by John Walsh - like new hardcover - about 300 pages - Author is
host of America's Most Wanted. Bookshare has others of his books but not this
one.

-A Christian's Guide to Guidance - Jay E. Adams - like new soft cover about a
hundred pages - a few blank pages after the core text and then 4 pages of other
titles valuable for finding more possible books to scan

-Long Road Home China Journal Bera Schwarcz like new hard cover with dust
jacket 284 - Author's 16 years in communist China

-A golden String - Daisy Newman - hardcover - 187 pages - author's memoir in
her 80s

It’s taken all day for me to compile this list because print reading is tedious
and slow and I’m not even going to proofread the above. Now I hope to hear
from scanners!

Tonight I’ll relax and knit while Evan reads Bookshare’s copy of the almost
700 page book The Abyss Beyond Dreams by Peter F. Hamilton for the Science
Fiction book club meeting that’s coming up fast on Nov. 12. The group likes
this author so much they voted for this book which isn’t available from NLS.
This group is so friendly and smart, more of y’all sf readers should come!

Always with love,

Lissi

Always with love,

Lissi