[biztech-discussion] Re: biztech-discussion Digest V1 #45

  • From: "Roberta Wilson" <bertaw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <biztech-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 08:25:19 -0700

I, too, am a product of the wonderful California school system--graduated
1972. That's when corporations paid their fair share in taxes. When Raygun
got in, he reduced state corporate taxes immediately and tried to shift the
burden onto small homeowners--hence Prop 13, which caused California to
plummet to near the bottom in terms of education.

When you transfer wealth from the commons or the working people to the
corporations, this is what you get: education, government, all of it under
siege and unable to do their job, which leads to "see, government can't do
anything. Let's privatize it all!"

From: MzWord@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2004 16:17:34 EDT
Subject: [biztech-discussion] Re: New twist to pro-offshoring arguments

In a message dated 7/5/2004 1:00:13 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
bertaw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
> worked 14 hours a day through my high-tech career. So, did thousands
of my
> co-workers. We worked hard. We worked smart. We worked creatively. We
got a
> piece of the pie, but we had to ignore our families and our
communities and
> our democracy. Look what it got us.

The paradigm resonates for folks like myself who, in their 20's and 30's

being somewhat ambitious, and thinking that hard work would get one
ahead, worked
all-nighters in freelance gigs in cities like NY, for example, in A-V
production or TV or film. Not 14-hour days, but 18-hour days and more!
We used to call
it "paying one's dues."  Til we burned out. Til we figured out we were
spinning our wheels, that there would always be someone younger or more
ambitious to
work for a lower rate. The A-V shops used to keep churning out and
through talent til the rates got too high, then look for novices who'd
work for

But, this is old stuff, and I know this site should be more about fresh
ideas, rather than old tunes.