[biztech-discussion] Trade Adjustment Assistance

  • From: "tkdunyak" <tkdunyak@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <biztech-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 13:07:54 -0500

I had my acronyms a little mixed up yesterday when I posted the info about the
TRA & federal unemployment.  I've gotten a booklet published by the US Dept of
Labor & would like to correct my mistakes.
The legislation that initiated the program is the Trade Act of 1974.  It
provides Trade Adjustment Assistance (TAA) to workers who lose their jobs or
whose hours of work & wages are reduced as a result of increased imports (or
off-shoring).  Once the Feds determine that a company falls into this category,
the certification remains in effect for 2 years & any employees who are
laid-off during that time become eligible for federal assistance.

Weekly Trade Readjustment Allowances (TRA) may be payable to eligible workers
following the exhaustion of their unemployment benefits - the federal program
provides weekly benefits, training, a job search allowance, a relocation
allowance and other reemployment services.  The info should also be available
on the DOL website.

In any case, I think American taxpayers should be made aware of the fact that
all this offshoring costs them a bundle in Federal benefits which would not
otherwise be paid to normal, unemployed workers.  Again the working stiffs are
subsidizing corporate interests.

Terry