[biztech-discussion] Re: Oppose Offshoring: Moving Forward #6

  • From: Eunice Malley <eunicezrm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: biztech-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2004 11:45:41 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Al, I got your phone message. Haven't had a chance to call you back yet, but
I will next week. Thanks!
Al Weinrub <Allen.Weinrub@xxxxxxx> wrote:Folks,
My apologies for not updating you all on the many developments moving
NWU opposition to offshoring forward. In fact, so much has happened, and
we've been so swamped, that writing to this list has ended up on the
back burner. My apologies.

1. The National Executive Board approved our anti-offshoring plan, with
a lot of enthusiam, posted at:

http://www.nwu.org/onlymem/NEB/NEB_minutes_report_08_13_15_04.htm

2. A campaign coordinating committee of Bruce Hartford, Nancy Mulvany,
Kenya Briggs, and myself , with editing assistance from Lisa Carlson,
have completed the campaign background papers and position papers. They
should be on a website soon (see #3).

3. A new Oppose Offshoring website is being developed by Chris Berg and
will be maintained by Emily Berk, both of the San Francisco Bay Area
chapter. We hope to have the site up and running in a week.

4. A special email was sent to California NWU members (last week in
September) urging them to write our illustrious Hollywood governor to
support four anti-offshoring bills that has been passed by the
legislature. That email message is pasted in below. The gov vetoed them
all anyway. We worked with the CA Labor Federation and WashTech on this
last minute effort.

5. We have prepared a survey to send to candidates in several hotly
contested Congressional races with the idea of publishing the results on
the new website and sending out a few press releases announcing the
survey results. We need someone to help write the press release. Please
volunteer if you can help. Write kbriggs@xxxxxxx

6. We are hoping to help with initiatives in the At Large and Bay Area
chapters. More on that later.

Al Weinrub

California NWU Members
TAKE ACTION NOW

We urge you to immediately contact Governor Schwarzenegger and press him
to sign the following 4 anti-offshoring bills that have been passed by
the legislature:

* AB1829: Government Offshoring. Prohibits state agencies from
offshoring government work, or using contractors who offshore work paid
for by the state.

* SB1492: Confidential Information. Prohibits sending personal medical
information outside the U.S.

* AB3021: Offshoring Reports. Require all employers with more than 250
employees to publicly report information regarding offshore work.

* SB888: Homeland Security. Prohibits national and homeland security
work from being performed outside the U.S.

For the complete text and history of these bills, go to:

http://www.legislature.ca.gov , and
search by the bill number.

There are a number of ways to contact Governor Schwarzenegger:
Web: http://www.govmail.ca.gov
Email: governor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Phone: 916-445-2841
Fax: 916-445-4633

You do not have to write a complicated message (though you can if you
wish). Your message can be as simple as: "Please sign AB1829, AB3021,
SB1492, and SB88."

BACKGROUND

This Fall the NWU in cooperation with many other unions will be taking
up the fight against outsourcing of our work to foreign countries. This
offshoring of high-tech and professional work is
having a big impact on many writers and on the communities in which we live.

We are still in the process of setting up the campaign website,
researching the issues, preparing materials, building a campaign
committee, and so forth. But these crucial bills are on the
Governors desk right now, so we are jumping the gun a bit and asking you
to take action on this before all of our supporting materials and
campaign organization are in place.

The California Labor Federation and other unions such as the Washington
Alliance of Technology Workers have worked on these bills and called on
the governor to sign them.

If you are interested in working on the anti-offshoring campaign,
contact NWU Organizer Kenya Briggs at:
510.839.6092
kbriggs@xxxxxxxx

In solidarity,