[biztech-discussion] Re: New: NWU Training Courses

  • From: "Andreas Ramos" <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <biztech-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 21:05:25 -0700

From: "Roberta Wilson" <bertaw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> huh, I know you're just having fun, but even fun can be misconstrued and
> give the impression that we actually think this is an Indian problem.

Yes, it was a bit of graveyard humor. Here's yet another article that discusses
the
implications of offshoring on American society.

yrs,
andreas
www.andreas.com

The Digital Death Rattle of the American Middle Class: A Cautionary Tale
____
.... another trend may well be defining the future of U.S. intellectual
labor. As U.S. states suffer from revenue shortfalls, and burgeoning college and
university enrollments, large tuition increases are often bundled with
escalations in class size, reduced course availability, and shrinking financial
and
infrastructural resources. Combined with the concurrent neo-liberal political
redefinition of higher education as a private rather than a public good,
"sticker
shock" one-year increases (of up to thirty-nine percent at the three public
universities in Arizona, forty percent in the California State System, and
thirty-two percent in the University of Texas System) may well signify that
elites
are no longer willing to subsidize American public higher education, once
they have gained global access, via digital communication networks, to cheap and
competent intellectual labor.

This essay explores the links between these two defining moments of early
twenty-first Century America, with an eye on the possibility that affordable
public higher education, and its attendant importance as a vehicle of social
mobility, may soon be thought of as an artifact of the Twentieth Century. If
so, we
are witnessing the digital death rattle of the American middle class, and an
escalating and intensive restratification of the American class system.

http://www.ctheory.net/text_file.asp?pick=402