[biztech-discussion] Moving Forward #5

  • From: Al Weinrub <Allen.Weinrub@xxxxxxx>
  • To: biztech-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 16:43:25 -0700

Thanks to everyone for the interesting postings on this discussion list.

I'm sorry for the delay in updating everyone on how the offshoring
campaign is moving forward. This will be a brief overview, with separate
emails to follow about some of the details.

When I last posted a few weeks ago, it was to provide you with a
tentative campaign plan. Since then there have been a number of advances:

1. Work has proceeded on the position papers that will be part of the
-- Bruce Hartford is researching and writing up material on governmental
support for offshoring. If you have info or want to help, contact Bruce
at <bruceh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>.
-- Nancy Mulvany is researching and writing up material on personal
privacy threats of offshoring. If you have info or want to help, contact
Nancy at <nmulvany@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>.
-- Margherite Williams is putting together a paper, "Frequently Stated
Misconceptions," which is meant to counteract the arguments used to
justify or dismiss offshoring (and persuade our constituency there is
nothing they can or should do to oppose it). If you have info or want to
help, contact Margherite at <margh@xxxxxxx>.

2. A coordinating committee, currently consisting of Bruce, Nancy,
myself, and Kenya Briggs, NWU staffperson, have been meeting to keep
this process on track and to scope out other tasks needed to launch a
campaign. We hope to provide you with drafts of the campaign position
papers in the near future.

3. Based on suggestions on this list, mainly from Bruce, I revised the
previous campaign plan for discussion at the upcoming meeting of the
union's National Exeutive Board in early August. The coordinating
committee looked over the plan before my submittal deadline, but I will
place it on a website where you all can look at it and provide further
feedback or commentary.

4. A couple of weeks ago, Kenya and I went to Seattle to meet with
WashTech to discuss how our two organizations can work together. Kenya
wrote up a report which we will post here on the list very soon.

5. With Andreas' resignation from BizTech leadership, a number of
offshoring resources need to be transitioned to new people. For example
we need some people to step forward who can:
-- help with web-related work, such as helping convert the present
biztech-offshoring website to a new offshoring campaign website, or to
help maintain it once the campaign gets underway.
-- manage this biztech-discussion email list (this is a bit technical)
or to move it to a different host.
-- manage the offshoring blog, especially by updating it with recent
information (this is not a technical job).

Please write to Kenya at <hotline@xxxxxxx> if you can help in any of
these ways. Contributions like these  might even be resume enhancing.
We'll be suggesting other ways you can help in the near future and I
hope you will be too.

Well that's enough for now. Thanks for your attention and participation.

Al Weinrub (Bay Area)
1st VP NWU