[biztech-discussion] Re: Moving Forward #2

  • From: Bruce Hartford <bruceh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: biztech-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,<biztech-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2004 11:30:04 -0500

At 10:16 AM 6/7/04 -0600, Samantha Clark wrote:

>1. Campaign Leadership: Bruce brought up another point in his earlier posts.
>Who is going to run the BizTech campaign? An ad-hoc committee formed to
>throw around campaign ideas is not leadership. Someone has to run the
>campaign. I've seen no postings or support from the current BizTech
>Co-Chairs. Is the campaign going forward without their direct involvement?
>Why? Who is ultimately in charge of the campaign? What role will the EOVP
>play?

Very pertinant questions. Al? Andreas? Stephanie?

>2. Research: why isn't the UAW research dept being asked to do our
>background research?

When I was a national officer I had quite a bit of experience with trying
to get useful research out of the UAW Research Department. The bottom line
is that we are going to have to do it ourselves. First of all, they are
always snowed under with requests from the UAW national leadership, CAP
(political action), and the various industrial locals all which have higher
priority to than us. So to get anything from them takes months. Second,
they really do not understand what we as an organization of freelancers
need and the kinds of campaigns we have to take on. So when we did finally
get something from them, it was always way off-target and not useful.

On the other hand, I don't think that researching and drafting white papers
on the two areas Al listed (personal data security and government
subsidation of off-shoring) is going to be that hard or time-consuming
because both issues have already been researched by many different
organizations.

                                           --bruce