[biztech-discussion] Re: IEEE Tech Communications Conference in Sept

  • From: Bruce Hartford <bruceh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: biztech-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,biztech-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2004 17:56:54 -0500

At 04:06 PM 6/3/04 -0500, Rob Ramer wrote:

>One question, do people know of this conference?  Is it, as it seems, a
>major conference for tech writers?

Very few of the tech writers I know belong to the IEEE or attend any of
their conferences. The Society for Technical Communications (STC) is by far
the "professional" organization of choice for the writers I come into
contact with. My impression is that IEEE is primarily made up of engineers
rather than writers and that those writers who do belong to IEEE are rarely
freelancers, rather they are staff writers with technical degrees who do
tech-specs and so forth. In other words, they are engineers first and
writers second. I do not think it would be a good use of scarce union funds
to sponsor this conference. (Yeah, I know what you're thinking, -- "Once a
skinflint Treasurer, always a skinflint Treasurer.")

>If so maybe we can see if we can try to get some kind of a panel on
>outsourcing on the agenda.  What do people think?

If we could be on a panel without laying out a lot of dough, that would be
fine. But the IEEE position on off-shoring is quite lame and timid in my
opinion, and I doubt they would welcome firebrands from the NWU. That
aside, what would our representative put forward as the NWU view? So far, I
don't see any conclusion to the desultory comments on this list. And is it
this list who decides on the NWU position and strategy (I doubt it) or the
officers?

--bruce