[biztech-discussion] FW: GAO Releases Offshoring Study

  • From: "Mike Bradley" <mbradley@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "NWU-BizTech" <biztech-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 13:44:01 -0700

GAO Offshoring Study
  -----Original Message-----
  From: WashTech/CWA [mailto:getactive@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
  Sent: Wednesday, September 22, 2004 11:22 AM
  To: mbradley@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  Subject: GAO Releases Offshoring Study

                     GAO weighs in on U.S. exporting jobs
                    WashTech News
                    SEATTLE - Offshore outsourcing of U.S. jobs is a growing
trend that cannot be ignored, according to a final report released today by
the General Accounting Office (GAO). The GAO plans at least four additional
studies in the coming months to further investigate this issue.

                    The GAO got involved after two Seattle-based labor
unions, SPEEA-IFPTE and WashTech/CWA requested congressional action and
research into the explosive new trend of high-end manufacturing and service
job moving overseas.

                    "This study is a good first step," said Charles
Bofferding, executive director of SPEEA. "It recognizes that outsourcing is
growing and a troubling trend for our workers and our country."

                    "The GAO has clearly stated in this report that
outsourcing of U.S. jobs abroad can not be ignored, and the government needs
to act in order to address the issue in terms of data collection and policy
solutions," said Marcus Courtney, WashTech president.

                    Released in Washington, D.C., the study was made at the
request of Washington state Reps. Adam Smith (D-9th District) and Jay Inslee
(D-1st District). The congressmen were prompted to make the request by the
Society of Professional Engineering Employees in Aerospace (SPEEA), IFPTE
Local 2001 and the Washington Alliance of Technical Workers (WashTech), CWA
Local 37083.

                    SPEEA represents technical workers and engineers
primarily at The Boeing Company. WashTech represents high-tech workers in
the software industry. Both unions have experienced union members losing
jobs as companies send more work to lower cost workers overseas.

                    The study does not make recommendations regarding the
outsourcing trend. Union officials said they will continue to work with
lawmakers to find solutions that encourage corporations to keep jobs in the

                    "We thank our congressional leaders for pushing for this
study and welcome their help as the study continues," said Bofferding.

                    The actual scope of the study was reduced by the GAO to
look primarily at service jobs. The GAO plans four additional studies to
examine corporate offshore outsourcing's effect on federal procurement,
trade and international affairs, critical capital/infrastructure and income
security for workers. No release dates have been set for the additional

                    In addition to job loss, the unions are concerned about
the transfer of technology that occurs when corporations send high-level
work overseas.

                    "Not only is Boeing creating jobs overseas, we are
teaching them how to make airplanes," said Dave Landress, a member of
SPEEA's Executive Board. "We're creating another competitor for our own

                    The GAO report, entitled: International Trade: Current
Government Data Provide Limited Insight into Outsourcing of Services was
scheduled for posting at: www.gao.gov <http://www.gao.gov/> .

                    Visit the web address below to tell your friends about

                    If you received this message from a friend, you can sign
up for WashTech.

                    This message was sent to mbradley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Visit
your subscription management page to modify your email communication
preferences or update your personal profile. To stop ALL email from
WashTech, click to remove yourself from our lists (or reply via email with
"remove" in the subject line).