[biztech-discussion] Re: America's Job-Quality Trap

  • From: Al Weinrub <Allen.Weinrub@xxxxxxx>
  • To: biztech-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2004 14:38:58 -0700

Folks,

Regarding the trend cited in the Morgan Stanly website article referred
to by Samantha Clark, below, you might want to check out the two-page
analysis, White-Collar Meltdown, by the AFL-CIO Department of
Professional Employees (DPE), at the following location:

http://www.dpeaflcio.org/news/news/news_2004_06_04.htm

The analysis looks at Bureau of Labor Statistics and cites a number of
other sources. Here is a teaser:

"The changing job projections show that outsourcing has reduced the
nation's ability to create high-skill, well-compensated jobs that are
the backbone of our middle class. Government and business economists
promised that high tech and knowledge jobs would replace the
manufacturing jobs that were offshored--but now they are being exported,
too. This is dramatically changing the nature of employment in our
country," said Almeida. "The figures are hard to deny."

It also says that"the Economic Policy Institute recently reported that
the unemployment level of college graduates now surpasses that of high
school dropouts."

Anyway, this undermines the false argument that outsourcing provides for
an expansion of the most highly skilled sectors.

Al