[bitlug] This week's talk...

  • From: Peeyush Prasad <peeyush@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bitlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 17:45:10 +0530 (IST)

Hi list,
 Me 'n Pavan decided that the QA format of the last session was a good way
of going about.We've decidedto carry this on for the next session as well,
here is *my* preliminary list of mem related Q's which we shall attempt to
answer...

* Physical mem is available as pages to the OS, what is the unit of
allocation to user space?(struct vma stuff)

* User space is split into 2 parts, the C lib and the actual user... how
does the Clib make mem available to the user (malloc..) ?

* We know about the x86 segmented architecture, in 8086, each segment is
64kb, starts at 16 byte offsets, also in 386 etc. How is the OS keeping
track (if it is), and how's the hardware kicking in??

would want comments on additions and deletions from all...
 TC, I got here first this time! :-)

-- P