[bitlug] Re: ReiserFS

  • From: Peeyush Prasad <peeyush@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bitlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 09:28:26 +0530 (IST)

Ok, finally managed to read the interview...makes for an intersting read,specially the part about Reiser dropping out and running away from home :-)

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005, Pavan T C wrote:

Hi,

Copying the link that prasad sent, just to make the thread easier to follow.

An interview with Hans Reiser...http://kerneltrap.org/node/5654

Ok, done. Now what? Anybody in for writing a plugin? I havent had any experience with filesystems. If there is one who has, they can lead this. Or we can start off with a few discussions.

I don't think I can survive if I get involved in plugins now, but there is a good deal of info I found from the www.namesys.com site, under the Reiser4 tab on the left...

 Particularly, these are good:
 - design flaws in the Unix directory interface.
 - why B+ trees are better than B- trees
 - (so called) dancing trees
 - how filesystems handle crashing PCs.
 - wandering journals

 Also check out their benchmark page and compare with
 http://www.sun.com/software/whitepapers/solaris10/fs_performance.pdf.
 where sun claims that their UFS on Solaris can significantly outperform
 ext3 and reiserfs (not reiser4),although the test is a year old,has some
 good sound bytes...

Is anybody using ReiserFS at all?? I think it is worth a try, from what these guys advertise...
How many people actually use trees directly? I have not,till now.

Dont mean to make too much noise about list etiquettes, but please take note of it. Where's that "omnipotent, omniscient, ..." listadmin??

TC

heh,heh... I have a very long reaction time sometimes,but that doesn't make me less omni* :-)

-- P