[bitlug] FW: Happy Birthday Linux

  • From: Pratibha Ramakrishnan <Pratibha.Ramakrishnan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'bitlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <bitlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 16:08:47 +0530

FWD:
today is Linux's Birthday (Aug 25). Yes the Tux is 13 years now.

The mail which created history:

          From:torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Linus Benedict Torvalds)

Newsgroup: comp.os.minix
Subject: What would you like to see most in minix?
Date: 25 Aug 91 20:57:08 GMT

Hello everybody out there using minix-

I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big
and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones. This has
been brewing since april, and is starting to get ready. I'd like
any feedback on things people like/dislike in minix; as my OS
resembles it somewhat (same physical layout of the file-sytem
due to practical reasons)among other things.

I've currently ported bash (1.08) an gcc (1.40), and things seem to work.
This implies that i'll get something practical within a few months, and I'd
like to know what features most people want. Any suggestions are welcome,
but I won't promise I'll implement them :-)

Linus Torvalds   <mailto:torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx