[birdky] Re: water/sugar ratio

  • From: Mark Monroe <markmonroe1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 10:03:07 -0400

I use 4:1 exclusively.  The August timing is the norm for birds to
show up for me as well.  Generally we recommend 4:1 but you can
certainly have success with 3:1 as well.  In hot and dry summers like
this one was, birds are in need of water as well as sugar and there is
definitely some evaporation from feeders.  My cloud of hummers empty
the feeders pretty fast and it makes those 20 lb bags of sugar last a
little longer with the 4:1. :P

As another sidenote, it really is not necessary to add food coloring
or any other additive to feeders, despite what commercial retailers
may try to sell you.  In fact, some things (i.e. honey) are outright
harmful to the birds.  It is important though to keep your feeders
clean and fresh, changing them out at least twice a week (more often
if it is really hot and they get direct sun).  'Sour' feeders can
expose birds to large bacteria or mold loads and at the very least,
will cause them to move on and look elsewhere.

Mark

Mark Monroe
Louisville, KY