[birdky] peabody 5/11 & 5/12

  • From: "Troy Evans" <chillyweather@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 16:04:55 -0400

Hello all,

   I spent about an hour before dark at the Sinclair Unit at Peabody
yesterday, and spent time in Sinclair and Homestead Units this morning.
Activity there has seemed to really increase within the last week or so.  On
a short walk last night, I happened upon many Bobwhites, American Woodcock,
Dickcissels, Yellow Warblers, Indigo Buntings, Grasshopper Sparrows, and had
a good look at a few Henslow's Sparrows and two Blue Grosbeaks.  At the mud
flats on the lake below the Ash Basin (next to S-6) were many of the typical
shorebirds, SP Plovers, Least Sandpipers, both Yellowlegs, and Spotted
Sandpipers, as well as a striking number of Great Blue Herons, Great Egrets,
Double-Crested Cormorants, Black-crowned Night Herons (around 25-30 on the
mudflat!), and a few green herons.  This morning at the S-6 lake were all of
the same species of shorebirds, and a large flock of (I assume) Forster's
terns (20+).  I may go out to check for Common terns among them this
afternoon.  Also present near the lake were several Yellow-breasted Chats.
   The Homestead unit was quite today, with the usual red-tailed hawks and
Northern Harriers lurking about.  the shorebird unit held a handful of
semipalmated plovers, least sandpipers, spotted sandpipers, and greater
yellowlegs.  I hear several grasshopper sparrows in the area as well.

     If I find any common terns today, I'll be sure to post it!

         Troy Evans
         Central City